Current:Home > ContactJudge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher -Elevate Capital Network
Judge rules against Prince Harry in early stage of libel case against Daily Mail publisher
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-07 03:15:31
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry lost a preliminary round Friday in his libel case against against the publisher of the Daily Mail tabloid over an article that said he tried to hide his efforts to retain publicly funded protection in the U.K. after giving up his status as a working member of the royal family.
A London judge said the Duke of Sussex failed to knock out Associated Newspaper Ltd.’s defense that its article reflected an honest opinion. A hearing is scheduled Tuesday to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
Justice Matthew Nicklin said in that ruling that “it is not fanciful that the Defendant will be successful, at trial.” He scheduled a hearing Tuesday in the High Court to discuss the consequences of the ruling.
The ruling comes just a day after another judge concluded three days of arguments — mostly behind closed doors — over whether the government unfairly stripped Harry of his security detail after he and his family moved to the U.S. in 2020.
Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, is challenging the government’s decision to provide security to him on a case-by-case basis when he visits Britain. Harry has said hostility toward him and his wife on social media and relentless news media hounding threatens their safety.
The Mail on Sunday and Mail Online published an article in February 2022 about the issue headlined: “How Prince Harry tried to keep his legal fight with the government over police bodyguards a secret … then — just minutes after the story broke — his PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the dispute.”
Harry claims the article was “fundamentally inaccurate” and the newspaper libeled him when it suggested he lied in his initial public statements about his case challenging the government.
Associated Newspapers argued the article expressed an “honest opinion” and did not seriously harm Harry’s reputation.
Nicklin previously ruled the article was defamatory but had not considered whether the story was accurate or in the public interest.
The government, meanwhile, has defended its decision to withdraw full protection for Harry because he stepped down from his role as a senior working member of the family. It said he was treated fairly and provided with security occasionally when he visits.
Another judge earlier this year shot down Harry’s request to privately reimburse London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A government lawyer had argued officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
The dispute with the Mail is one of four lawsuits Harry has pending against publishers of British tabloids in his ongoing battle with the press.
His three other cases allege that journalists at the Mail, the Daily Mirror and the Sun used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators, to try to dig up dirt about him.
___
Follow the AP’s coverage of Prince Harry at https://apnews.com/hub/prince-harry
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Bodycam footage shows high
- Detroit Lions no longer a cute story. They're now a win away from Super Bowl
- What role will Zach Ertz play for the Lions? Highlights, stats of TE's 11-year career
- Rhode Island transportation officials say key bridge may need to be completely demolished
- A steeplechase record at the 2024 Paris Olympics. Then a proposal. (He said yes.)
- Luigi Riva, all-time leading scorer for Italy men’s national team, dies at 79
- Move to repeal new Virginia law on organized retail theft blocked for this year
- Men are going to brutal boot camps to reclaim their masculinity. How did we get here?
- Man charged with murder in death of beloved Detroit-area neurosurgeon
- Testy encounters between lawyers and judges a defining feature of Trump’s court cases so far
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Pennsylvania GOP endorses York County prosecutor in a three-way contest for state attorney general
- 8-Year-Old Girl Reveals Taylor Swift's Reaction After Jason Kelce Lifted Her Up to NFL Suite
- Kansas incurred $10 million in legal fees defending NCAA men's basketball infractions case
- Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
- Sarah Ferguson treated for skin cancer: What to know about melanoma, sunscreen
- Browns general manager Andrew Berry 'would have no problem having' Joe Flacco back
- 3 crewmembers killed in Oklahoma medical helicopter crash after transporting patient
Recommendation
Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
The Wilderness Has Chosen These Yellowjackets Gifts for Every Fan
Oscar nominations are Tuesday morning. Expect a big day for ‘Oppenheimer,’ ‘Barbie’
When does 'Queer Eye' start? Season 8 premiere date, cast, how to watch and stream
US auto safety agency seeks information from Tesla on fatal Cybertruck crash and fire in Texas
Churches, temples and monasteries regularly hit by airstrikes in Myanmar, activists say
Top religious leaders in Haiti denounce kidnapping of nuns and demand government action
College sophomore Nick Dunlap wins PGA Tour event — but isn't allowed to collect the $1.5 million prize